Wednesday, March 7, 2012

GROWING STUFF-DAY00


Hey all, so I haven't written in a while and I know you have all been waiting anxiously for an update, but this might not be the type of update you were expecting.  Instead of gracing your internet browser with a delectable recipe, I am instead sharing with you a journey that I embarked upon just last week. Inspired by a my friend Dave and his blog Cookin Stuff (which is not vegan or about growing things but is an entertaining read nonetheless) and my desire to start legitimately growing my own food; I will be doing a month long bit called growing stuff, about well you know GROWING STUFF! 


In the past I have experimented with various indoor grow systems including the dirt free hydroponic Aero Garden system, but this system, while a ton of fun to play with, does not give a great return when compared with energy expenditure.  I do still use my Aero Garden from time to time, but have decided this grow season (if that's what you want to call it)  to try out more passive systems of food production.  For the next few weeks I will be posting progress pictures of a Pleurotus Ostreatus (oyster mushroom) Mushroom Kit  and a Basil Grow Bottle I am nurturing.  Both kits were gifts from my lovely boyfriend Chad and can be found at uncommongoods.com.  Once I begin harvesting, I will post some delicious new recipes featuring my home grown goods!

Other things you may be wondering aside where to get these things is what they are really all about.  For starters, the MushroomKit and GrowBottle are a great ways to get started growing stuff, especially if you have no experience.  The side of the mushroom kit reads 'Great for Kids,' which leads me to believe that getting the mushrooms to fruit should not be super challenging, plus the kit makes use of agricultural by products, in this case coffee grounds, which might otherwise go to waste.  The GrowBottle, is also a relatively simple concept (lo-tech hydroponics), and it makes great alternative use of a bottle, which would otherwise end up in the energy intensive process of recycling!  After experimenting with these purchase kits, I hope to scale up and build a more sustainable operation, both environmentally and economically.

OTHER PICTURES!


GrowBottle

Mushroom Kit

No comments:

Post a Comment